What is Genital Herpes(HSV)
Genital herpes is a common sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by an infection with the herpes simplex virus (HSV). There are two types of HSV. HSV-1 is most commonly associated with blistering lesions around the mouth known as cold sores. HSV-2 is associated with blistering lesions in genital areas that are exposed during sexual contact. However, both types of HSV can infect the mouth or the genital areas. After the initial outbreak of herpes, the virus travels through the nerves and resides in nerve tissue within the body.
Symptoms Of Genital Herpes
Genital herpes sores usually appear as one or more blisters on or around the genitals, rectum or mouth. The blisters break and leave painful sores that may take weeks to heal. These symptoms are sometimes called “having an outbreak.” The first time someone has an outbreak they may also have flu-like symptoms such as fever, body aches, or swollen glands.
Repeat outbreaks of genital herpes are common, especially during the first year after infection. Repeat outbreaks are usually shorter and less severe than the first outbreak. Although the infection can stay in the body for the rest of your life, the number of outbreaks tends to decrease over a period of years.
STD symptoms which develop within 2 to 20 days after contact and continue upto 2 weeks as it is very mild and goes unnoticed especially in those with partial immunity to the virus.
What are the Location of Genital Herpes
- In male, genital herpes sores (lesions) usually appear on genital.
- In female, sometimes the lesions are seen on labia majora and labia minora the lesions may be seen outside the vagina, but they commonly occur inside the vagina where they can cause irritation or discharge but they cannot be seen on clinical examination.
- The herpes can be found around the anal opening, perineum or even the scrotal area in few patients
- The STD affects millions of people.
- It is easily spread.
- Anyone can become infected..
- herpes simplex virus is causative virus for herpetic sore.
- It causes painful blisters and sores in and around the genital areas..
- Genital herpes is spread by direct contact with an infected person sexual intercourse and oral sex the most common methods of spreading genital herpes..
- People who are sexually active,especially those who have sex without using a condom,are at the highest risk.
Genital herpes–Genital herpes treatment aims at relieving the discomfort of the herpes sores and reducing the length of time taken by an outbreak to cure.The treatment proves to be of great effect when it starts right after an outbreak begins. This should especially be done in case of recurrent genital herpes..
Antiviral Drugs-Acyclovir,Valacyclovir and Famciclovir are antiviral drugs used in the treatment of genital herpes..
Viral Shedding- Treatment only ensures rapid healing of the eruptions and decrease the chances of viral shedding.