What is Candidiasis
Candidiasis is a fungal infection caused by candida species or all yeasts. Among the candida species , candida albicans is the common .It is also referred as yeast infection, moniliasis, candidosis and odimoycosis. Candida albicans is a type of yeast that lives in all of us. When our immune system is working properly , the amount of candida in our body is kept in balance .
What are the Symptoms
Symptoms vary depending on the affected area.
- Symptoms of candida overgrowth like itching, redness and discomfort
- In women Infection in the vagina causes severe itching, soreness, burning , irritation .
- Thick,white lacy patches on top of a red base can form on the tongue palate, or elsewhere inside the mouth.
- Candida organism typically occurs when the environment is warm and moist such as diaper areas and skin folds in infants.
- In adults, candida occurs in intregenious area like in axila, groin,and below the breast.
What are the causes
- Candida is commonly present in the human body but their growth is only limited because of our immune system or inhibited with other bacteria which are also occupying in the body.
- Close contact or sharing a comb,hair brush or a towel with someone who has tinea can spread the fungus from one person to another.
- Because fungi need a warm,dark and humid place to grow .Public showers,pools,locker rooms, and even the warmth of shoes and socks can give fungi the perfect opportunity to strike.
- Taking antibiotics can cause a yeast infection.Antibiotics get rid of germs that make us sick but they can also kill many harmless bacteria in our body.These harmless bacteria normally fight with the yeast for a place to live ,but when antibiotics kill them,the yeast is free to go.
- Fungus can infect when a person have an immune system disorder
If fungal infection of the body covers a large area, is severe or doesn’t respond to over-the-counter medicine,you may need a prescription-strength topical medication(lotion,cream or ointment) or an oral medication(pill,capsule or tablet).
Topical Medication– These include clotrimozole and miconazole.Antifungal powder miconazole and clotrimozole cures and soothes athletes foot, jock itch and ringworm.It gives relief in itching, burning and scaling. They absorb the moisture.
Oral Medication – These include itraconazole,fluconazole and terbinfina.