What is Impetigo
Contagious bacterial infection of epidermis
- Can affect any skin region
- Transmitted by direct contact with infected persons.
- Primary impetigo: more common in children, infection via minor breaks in skin
- Secondary impetigo: any age, secondary infection of trauma/wounds
- Clinical diagnosis, confirmed by gram stain or culture of crust or fluid from bullae.
- Scattered discrete 1-3cm lesions with honey-coloured crust and surrounding erythema.
- Most common around mouth/nose.
- Patients may have lymphadenopathy
- Treatment can be done by Antibiotics.